Around since the 1950s, the popular yet controversial hCG diet protocol was designed to facilitate rapid weight loss without the issues that challenge—and ultimately sabotage—many diets, predominantly gnawing, unrelenting hunger pangs and fatigue. Originated by Dr. A.T.W. Simeons, who’d studied obesity for 40 years prior to creating the diet protocol featuring injections of hCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin— a hormone found in the placenta of pregnant women—the hCG diet was popularized by Simeons’ book and an article in the medical publication Lancet on the subject. In them, Simeons posits that injections of the hCG hormone mitigated and often eliminated the uncomfortable byproducts of an extreme low-calorie diet—among them headaches, constant gnawing, fatigue, sarcopenia (muscle diminishment) and the like.
Does hCG Aid Weight Loss?
Research shows the primary function of a diet incorporating hCG is that it doesn’t so much change the fact that the dieter loses weight, as almost anyone can on a severely calorie-restricted diet. Rather it changes how the dieter loses weight, including the preclusion of sarcopenia—a gradual loss of muscle that can affect us as we age and during extreme dieting.
Sheri Emma, M.D., whose weight loss specialty practice features hCG, puts it this way:
By patient report, hCG reduces feelings of hunger. This allows them to eat very little comfortably. Why? It is believed the presence of hCG in the bloodstream takes the appetite away. In pregnant women, HCG often causes feelings of nausea in the early stages of pregnancy. hCG is a pro-hormone which helps the body make more hormones. Since hormone deficiency or imbalance is usually part of the reason for weight gain, whether it’s your thyroid, menopause (or andropause), this hormone offers help. hCG injections keep you from losing muscle while you diet. By elevating hormone levels in the body, including testosterone, the hCG hormone creates an anabolic state (muscle-building) which counteracts the catabolic state (muscle-breakdown). There are hormone receptors on muscle fibers that respond to the increased hormone levels in patients taking the hCG hormone.*
There Are Four Phases of the hCG Diet Protocol
Introductory phase, a cleanse of one’s choosing, is not necessary (and often not mentioned) though some dieters choose to detoxify their systems before embarking on the diet. A cleanse can range from jettisoning processed foods and artificial sweeteners to more extreme colon cleanses, a candida cleanse if one is prone to systemic yeast, etc.
- Phase One: consists of starting the injection regimen, plus extreme fat loading. The purpose is to fill the body’s fat stores so it can deplete these reserves first before hCG has a chance to take over and start working away at abnormal fat.
- Phase Two: is the initiation of the prescribed 500-calorie a day diet (see below), plus the injections. Minimum time of for this phase is 23 doses if one has 15 or fewer pounds to lose. Maximum time is 40 doses or until 34 lbs. have been lost. Morbidly obese people are allowed to lose an additional 5-6 pounds if this occurs before the 40 doses are up. If undertaking the longer 40 dose round, one day a week of hCG injections must be forfeited. Women also need to skip their hCG doses during menstruation. Exceeding 40 doses may result in hCG immunity, with symptoms that include extreme hunger, fatigue and weakness—same as one might experience on an extreme diet without it.
- The original hCG diet protocol allowance is as follows: Breakfast consists of coffee or tea without sugar, and this is unlimited throughout the day. A tablespoon of milk is allowed every 24 hours, along with unlimited artificial sweetener. Lunch and dinner are the same: 3.5 ounces broiled or grilled chicken (white meat), beef, white fish, lobster, crab or shrimp. No salmon, eel, tuna, herring, dried or pickled fish, as they tend to contain visible fat. Vegetables are unlimited and may include spinach, chard, chicory, beet greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions, red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus and cabbage. Bread can be one bread stick or one piece of Melba toast. For fruit, you can choose an orange, an apple, a handful of strawberries or half a grapefruit. Butter and oils aren’t allowed. Water is highly encouraged: Drink 8 to 10 8-ounce glasses a day. Injections are given daily and consist of 175 IU of hCG per day. A subcutaneous injection into the area between the belt line and belly button, alternating from one side to the other, is recommended. If experiencing hunger after one week, an additional 25 IU can be added to the once daily dose, never exceeding 250 IU.
- Phase Three:, or weight maintenance, consists of no starches or sugars for three weeks. The goal is to continue to weight within two pounds of one’s last dosage weight. If two pounds is exceeded, a “steak day” must be initiated. This consists of fluids throughout the day with a large steak at night, accompanied by one tomato OR one apple.
- Phase Four: is called “the rest of your life” phase. It is not an invitation to go back to your old ways of eating that proved deleterious to weight and health. At this juncture, cravings should be gone, and as such starches and sugars should be introduced gradually so as not to create them all over again. Weighing oneself and initiating a “steak day” if the scale tips at an additional two pounds should help keep things on track. If a second course of the hCG diet becomes warranted, six weeks must pass first so as not to become immune. Additional courses require longer waiting periods, such as eight weeks for the third course, etc.
hCG Diet Protocol Sources:
hCG Diet Protocol Reviews and Testimonials!
Been dieting off and on for years with little or no success? Unsure about what’s involved in the hCG diet protocol? On the fence about getting real results? And even if not looking to lose weight, what about just feeling less fatigued during the day and more energized during your workout with hCG injections? These testimonials from actual hCG customers will set you on a course:
Losing weight and changing the course of disease
“I’ve lost 150 pounds so far, starting at 427 pounds, with hCG—that is 10 clothing sizes down. It’s been a year-and-a-half. I will be 42, have type II diabetes, and take meds for hypothyroid. I also deal with polycystic ovarian syndrome, and with hCG, my cycles were normal—like clockwork—which was new for me. I’m finishing up my fifth round of hCG.” – Heather
“I bought the 30 ml vial of the ORIGINAL, which is now known as LIPO 7. I gave myself an injection twice a week and it helped me with my energy level, I didn’t feel as tired as I used to be. I used to struggle every day at work because I would always feel fatigue by the end of the day. The vitamin injections really helped with that problem a lot. I totally recommend this to anyone! It also helped me lose some weight. The price of a 30ml vial on here (www.ushcgshots.com) can’t be beat compared to other websites!!!” – Marie A.
Hide and Seek (No More)
“I found out about hCG in 2009 when I saw my friend shrinking. I couldn’t stop asking how she did it! …With a starting weight of 223 pounds, I’ve lost 75 pounds, now fitting into a size 8 after completing three rounds of about six weeks per round. I’m almost 59 years old. I’ve even lost inches from the backs of my legs, my arms and around my knees—where fat hides—almost 6 inches off of one knee alone!” – Nance
Phase 3, the maintenance phase, considered by some to be more challenging because “real life eating,” without the benefit of the prior regimen of hCG injections is reintroduced to a body that has been effectively losing weight:
“I’m 60 years old, 5’8”, and my starting weight was 195 pounds. My current weight is 167…going from a size 14 to a size 10. …For me, completing phase 2 and getting into phase 3 was kick-started when I VERY SLOWLY introduced new foods (from specific food groups—like a single dairy item per week). I continued eating the same foods as phase 2, but increased the quantity. I would add one new food every week and really watched my fat intake.” – Laura
hCG as a Career
“Back in my wedding dress after 23 years and 9 kids. I am 46 pounds lighter. My sister and I have coauthored an hCG recipe book: 101 Worry-free HCG Diet Recipes. After partnering with two former hCG clients, a chiropractor and a psychologist, Pounds and Inches Away was born… to offer expert support with the hCG diet protocol.” – Leanne
On Her Way Up
“Before going on hCG, I was miserable. I never imagined that I would be where I am today. I have lost 56 pounds and 65.5 inches. I have gone from a size 20 to a size 10 in two rounds of the hCG. Now, I am finding myself running up stairs where I used to drag myself up them. My stomach was so huge that I honestly thought I had a tumor in it. Needless to say, I feel great and I love trying on new clothes that I thought I would have never fit into again.” – Michelle S.
Simplicity Simply Works
“I have seen my cousins on hCG and lost 35 lbs. I have researched about hCG for over 2 weeks since I was kind of scared especially when you are a mother of 3 little kids. However, it won my heart and I’m more than ready to start on this product. I am hoping to lose 60 lbs by mid-April. I am committed more than ever. Thanks for introducing this product.” – Juliet K.
A Shot of Empowerment
“I have lost 20 pounds in 28 days. I am very encouraged by the weight loss, the clothes I can now wear and the comments of others. I feel great! I am eager for the time to pass so I can start the second round. I feel empowered by being able to give myself shots and control what goes into my mouth.” – Cindy F.